Chem-Dry’s main goal is to make your home a healthier place. For that reason, we present you with these 6 home cleaning tips!
1. Regularly wipe down countertops. Think about all that area that countertops take up. Besides being where food is prepared, countertops collect dirt, dust, bacteria, and allergen particles floating in the air. When cleaning countertops of granite or tile, remember that it’s best to use a mild cleaner and preferably one that can refresh the sealer. Sealers can degrade over time and if they do, the stone beneath is very porous and can trap bacteria within.
2. Keep carpets and rugs clean. To improve the life and appearance of your carpet, vacuum your carpets and rugs weekly with a bag vacuum. Try to find a vacuum that has either a HEPA filter or a microfiltration system to keep allergens at bay. Obviously, even regular vacuuming won’t keep stains, dirt, pet dander, or bacteria from getting deep down in the carpet fibers. While these toxins are not usually visible to human eyes, they can still be the source of unpleasant health issues and allergy symptoms.
The EPA recommends getting carpets professionally cleaned at least once a year. In homes with pets and/or children, it recommends two or three times a year, with the help of a professional cleaning service, such as Chem-Dry. Especially with pets, you’ll want to find a professional cleaning service that has an effective urine detection and removal process.
3. Upholstered furniture need some love, too. For most people it’s easy to think about vacuuming and cleaning their carpets and rugs. Unfortunately, it’s easy to forget about cleaning upholstery furniture, despite spending significant time every day on couches and chairs. This furniture collects dust, dirt, and allergens just like carpets. They can also hold pet dander, sweat, and spills. Between professional upholstery cleaning appointments, remember to vacuum your upholstered furniture as it’s just as important as carpets, particularly in the high-traffic areas like family rooms.
4. Sanitize high-use points around the house. You know where they are – popular “hot spots” like door knobs, toilet handles, faucets and light switches. It’s often difficult to clean these spots as often as you should. But if you sanitize these spots as much as possible, you’ll go a long way toward minimizing the spread of germs. As always – make sure you and your kids wash hands regularly as well.
5. Use door mats or area rugs in entry ways and high-traffic areas. Avoid dragging all the dirt and allergens from the outdoors into your living spaces. Door mats and area rugs do a great job of trapping these things at the door. Many would also suggest removing shoes at the door to keep a healthy, happy home.
6. Check and replace your heating and air conditioning filters. It’s vital to change your furnace air filter at regular intervals to prevent dirt, dust and other unhealthy particles from being blown around the house. Pro Tip: write the date that you’re performing the filter replacement on the outer edge of the new filter that you’re installing to make it easy to know when your next one is due.
We’re here to help you keep a healthy home and we hope these tips do just that. The next time you need your carpets or upholstery cleaned, call Chem-Dry Four Seasons!